26 August 2007

Did you know...?

I learned a few things on this trip [yes, shocking but true] and I thought I would spread my wisdom. So here are some things [in random order] that I learned while travelling in a Tahoe with a uhaul with my Mother and with My Addy, who was in her kennel in the back surrounded by wine, beer, and all the crap I felt I needed but wouldn't fit in the uhaul.

1. The Holland Tunnel from NJ into NYC does not allow trailers--and that includes uhaul trailers, even when they meet size requirements.
2. There is a uturn around the police station just past the toll booth for all the ignorant people who are not aware of rule #1.
3. People in the NYC/NJ metro area LOVE honking their horns, especially when you are blocking the toll booth with your Tahoe with the uhaul trailer with your Mother navigating and your Addy in her kennel in the back surrounded by wine, beer, and all the crap I felt I needed but wouldn't fit in the uhaul. Oh and it cost us $11.90 in tolls to find this out.
4. There are very few things in life scarier than driving down a mountain on a windy interstate road, surrounded by truckers on one side [whose trailers are causing the wind to whip your trailer violently from side to side] while on your other side is solid concrete dividers from all the construction.
5. Even scarier than #4 is attempting to do this in the dark.
6. Okay even scarier still is attempting #4 & 5 in the rain.
7. If you're eating in Virginia and you like rare or medium rare steak, you should ask them to gently pass it by the flames of the grill. If not, you're going to get a well-done piece of meat.
8. People up here are scared of big dogs and rather than asking if she's friendly, they just ask if she bites [while gesturing as if to bite their own arm]. Needless to say [but I'm saying it anyway] we usually get the elevator to ourselves.
9. A taxi ride from the Days Inn in North Bergen, NJ to the heart of the Bronx will cost you $71 [but in allllll fairness, $7 of that is for tolls]
10. Attempting to navigate my way out of that part of the Bronx and back to a part of the city I knew sans $71 taxi ride, took nearly 2 hours of walking/finding the bus/riding the bus/transferring to and then riding the subway and in hindsight, probably the $71 just may have been worth it.
11. Unless you love the smell of urine, don't get off of the #1 subway at 168th Street.

That's all I have for now! Apartment hunting is kicking my ass, but I am determined [of course, feel free to keep your fingers crossed for me!]!!

:I SHEZ

No comments: